Table of Contents
People love to eat a lot, not specifically healthy and nutritious food but also other type of foods which are delicious. We have built up a myth that nutritious foods usually tastes worse than regular food. Well, in order to break up that myth, I shall prove that there are also such foods which are healthy and delicious both such as strawberries. In this post you will get to know all about strawberries.
Origin of Strawberry:
The scientific name of strawberry is Fragaria Ananassa. Wild strawberry was discovered first in Chile in 18th century. It was widely popular in those days and then it spread out in France, Romania and Eastern countries. There were a lot of species in this wild fruit which were scientifically named differently like Fragaria Virginiana, Fragaria Chiloensis, etc. But commonly they were known as strawberries.
When Chinese discovered it, they used it in many ways and mostly in medicinal purposes. They also used this fruit after meditation or a part of their diet and then it became popular in Asia.
Cultivation of Strawberry:
As we know that strawberries are now cultivated worldwide starting from Chile in 18th Century to Brittany, France in 1970. These fruits are produced in colors like Red, Dark red, Pinkish, Magenta, etc. There is variation in even shapes and sizes of this fruit.
United States is the leading producer of strawberries with 13 tons per year production, followed by countries like Turkey with is 4 tons per year and Spain which produces 3 tons per year. Other countries include Mexico, Russia, Japan, Poland, Germany and many more.
This fruit is cultivated in a long row type formation which includes mounds of matted row and groups which is also known as perennial system or plasticulture model. They can also be cultivated indoors in strawberry pots in a slight cold weather conditions.
Nutritional Value of Strawberry:
Strawberries are excellent sources of antioxidants and essential minerals. 100 grams of raw strawberries contain 32 grams of calories. The other nutritional values are as follows;
Per 100 grams, it contains 90% of water, 0.7 to 1 gram of protein, 2 grams of fiber, approx. 5 grams of sugar, 7 to 8 grams of carbohydrates, only 0.3 grams of fat, 0.15 grams of polyunsaturated fat, 0.1 gram of Omega-6 fatty acids and 0.08 gram of Omega-3 fatty acid.
Other than these, it also contains Vitamins A, C, D, E and K in higher quantities compared to Vitamins like B1, B2, B6 and B12. It contains folate in 0.1 grams per 100 grams and minerals like Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Phosphorus in similar quantities.
Nutritional Benefits of Strawberry:
Prevention of Cancer
- There are innumerable benefits of strawberries but, cancer prevention is one of the most significant benefit ever found from a fruit.
- Strawberries contain folate, quercetin, Vitamin C and kaempferol type of flavonoids which are antioxidants.
- These antioxidants act in such a way that they decrease the growth of tumor and metastasis of cancer cells.
- Daily intake of strawberries reduces the risk of cancer.
- It was also proved that dried strawberries showed results to prevent esophageal and cervical cancer.
- Strawberries usually have very low glycemic index. Hence, they lower the risk of getting diabetes type 2.
- Folate-B antioxidant controls blood sugar levels among body and also helps in maintaining proper blood circulation in the body.
- Moreover, researchers proved that daily consumption of strawberries improves the glycemic control among diabetes.
- Presence of innumerable antioxidants increase the potential of any food. Especially, the anti-inflammatory benefit of antioxidants make it more worthy.
- It has been proved that regular intake of strawberries may decrease the risk of strokes.
- Strawberries helps to reduce the formation of blood clots and thickness of blood which are the main causes of strokes.
- Initially, by doing those processes it also maintains the blood pressure levels of the body in order to prevent strokes.
Prevents Memory Loss
- As we know that strawberries contain high content of antioxidants, they protect brain cells from damage due to presence of free radicals.
- This doesn’t only protects the brain cells but also increases the overall brain health and develops a healthy membrane around it.
- Antioxidants also help in prevention of memory loss and reduction in chances of getting senile dementia over aging.
- It also helps in making neurons more active and keeps brain functionality over possessive when it comes to daily consumption of strawberries.
- Strawberries have a specific content of pectin which is a fiber that lowers the levels of LDL in our body.
- LDL usually refers to bad cholesterol in our body and due to presence of pectin, folates and other antioxidants they help in reducing levels of cholesterol.
- These also affects other organs of our body and due to which it is very appreciable that it contains LDL reduction properties.
- Here, antioxidants again take the credit! These prevents skin from sagging and making it drier.
- They prevent skin from oxidative damage and makes it wrinkle free which results in its anti-aging property.
- Anthocyanin helps in reduction of oxidative stress and slows down aging by decreasing damage to cells and break down collagen.
- Eating strawberries can prevent degeneration of optic nerves, macular degeneration, dry eyes, vision defects and even some infections.
- Again, antioxidants contain certain phenolic compounds which improves the vision and also avoid problems which causes soreness in eyes.
- They have such flavonoids which keeps tear ducts water rich and can fix ocular pressure in the eyes.
- It also has long term benefits such as they can prevent eyes from catching cataract and nearsightedness.
- These phytochemicals also contain some amount of potassium which maintains the pressure of our eyes and keeps optical system stable.
Prevention of Hypertension
- Strawberries contain certain vasodilators mostly potassium and magnesium which reduces the anxiety levels of a body.
- These vasodilators usually function in such a way that blood circulation increases and it becomes more oxygen rich.
- This helps blood easily to flow in each and every part of the body and makes every organ function at their extensive potential.
- Hence, it shows results to decrease overall hypertension and stress issues.
- Production of adiponectin and leptin increases in our body due to intake of strawberries which are fat burning hormones.
- These hormones help in reduction of appetite which helps in weight loss and reduce overall body weight.
- Also, strawberries contain ellagic acid and certain nutrients which plays a major role in weight loss.
- According to some studies, strawberries contain certain components which removes existing dead skin cells and cleanses the skin.
- This is due to presence of α-hydroxy acid. Some studies show that salicylic acid and ellagic acid reduces dark spots.
- These constituents also tightens skin pores and prevents acne breakouts. This leads to removal of dead skin cells.
- Also, Vitamin C removes the dryness of the skin and improves the skin tone. It releases certain chemicals and prevents skin from getting harmful pollutants.
- Moreover, antioxidants and other chemicals soothe irritated skin and protects skin from harmful UV radiations.
- Strawberries result in increase of fertility rate and sperm counts in men when intake of 4 to 5 strawberries is taken daily.
- This even results to more rich sperm quantity which can be also said as increases the quality of sperms.
- For women, this fruit basically helps prevention from PCOS and mostly cervical cancer.
- High fiber content boosts digestion in our body and helps to prevent diseases like constipation and diarrhea.
- It prevents inflammation in the digestive tract which makes intestines easier to digest even hard substances.
- This leads to prevention of fever, nausea and even other digestive problems like stomach aches, obesity, etc.
- As we know that strawberries contain Vitamin C which develops immunity in our body.
- It also contains essential minerals and other contents which not only helps from preventing small diseases like common cold, cough and flu. But, also helps in building more white blood cells.
- This develops a new circulation cycle of immunity system and shows wound healing property with proper intake of strawberries.
- It also boost the metabolism and vitalizes our body in a certain way that it never suffers to problems like weaknesses, stress and other everyday health problems.
- This fruit has certain phytochemicals and secreted juices which has proved to reduce pain in joints and get relief from diseases like gout.
- After a certain age people suffer from many difficulties but this fruit helps in maintaining the overall body strength for a longer time.
- Strawberries are also known for prevention of Arthritis and it has many other anti-inflammatory benefits.
So, rather preferring to such junk food in the market and unhygienic food in the stores, just grab a bowl of strawberries and I bet that it will not only boost your metabolism and health but it also tastes delicious.