Table of Contents
Say Sayonara to Stretch Marks!
Stretch marks are a common problem among both men and women but women comparatively face it more, mostly because of pregnancies. This is however not the only reason, another common cause is sudden weight loss and weight gain and it has no age barrier from teenagers to senior adults – anyone can experience stretch marks. Many people choose to treat these with chemical-laden treatments which might come with their own set of side-effects. So to avoid all the havoc of remembering appointments with the doctor and spending way too much on ointments or treatments or heating up your car to drive to the clinic, we bring you simple homely ways of stretch marks removal:-
22 Simple Home Remedies For Stretch Marks Removal
All these remedies cost nothing much but your time. This list consists of ingredients that are a common name in all households, you don’t have to go out of the way to get rid of your stretch marks anymore. All these remedies are natural and do not have any side effects.
1. Cocoa Butter
- Cocoa butter works to hydrate and smoothens the skin. The cocoa penetrates into deep layers of the skin and replenishes & repairs the damaged cells.
- Process: It could be mixed with wheat germ oil, beeswax, vitamin E oil, kernel oil (everything about 1 tablespoon) heat these ingredients until melted – it can be applied straight on the affected area, twice a day and the mixture can be refrigerated in an airtight container. The stretch marks will start to vanish after a month.
2. Shea Butter
- Shea butter is an easier choice as it does not require being mixed with anything. It works as a natural moisturizer and antioxidant.
- Process: It can directly be applied over the stretch marks and leave it. For better results – apply 2-3 times a day.
3. Aloe Vera
- Aloe vera gel is evidently a very flexible ingredient, which works wonders for the body and especially the skin. The compounds of glucomannan and gibberellins in aloe vera help make the healing faster. Other vitamins, enzymes and minerals also help the cause.
- Process: Add aloe vera gel (fresh – not from a tube) with 5 vitamin A and 10 vitamin E capsules – mix well and massage onto the skin until fully absorbed. After leaving it on for 15 minutes, wash off with lukewarm water.
4. Vicks vaporub
- Vicks consists of camphor, petrolatum, eucalyptus oil, turpentine oil and cedar leaf oil; all these together make the skin softer and restore moisture. The heat it produces helps make the healing fast.
- Process: For this, you only need 2 things – Vicks vaporub and cling wrap. Just apply the vaporub on the affected area and massage for 2-3 minutes then cover the area with cling wrap and leave overnight.
5. Castor oil
- Castor oil is a solo hero, it need not be mixed with anything. It treats hair fall but also works well with treating skin diseases like stretch marks here. Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid (a skin conditioning agent) which fastens the healing of stretch marks and makes them appear lighter.
- Process: To use this – just heat (lukewarm) the oil and massage for 15-20 minutes on the marks.
6. Vitamin E oil
- Vitamin E oil is available in capsules, all you need to do is cut open a capsule and extract the oil. It also prevents skin ageing and removes scars; it is a common ingredient in creams and lotions as it protects the skin from UV radiation.
- Process: Apply the extracted oil on the stretch marks and massage for a few minutes. Leave it on for the day. The skin absorbs this oil easily so follow this twice or thrice a day.
7. Olive Oil
- Olive oil is rich in nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties. It actually a long time to fade the marks out but hands down is very effective. It contains vitamin E which acts as an emollient and skin conditioning agent.
- Process: Make sure you use extra virgin olive oil. Twice a day – warm some oil and rub on the stretch marks but do not wash it off.
8. Coffee Scrub
- Coffee rich in caffeine has high biological activity and can penetrate the skin easily.
- Process: To make coffee scrub you need coffee grounds and some water. First mix coffee grounds with some water to make a thick paste (for better results add few drops of olive oil or some aloe vera), now scrub over the stretch marks in a circular motion 3-5 minutes. Finally, rinse with warm water and moisturize.
- The circular motion helps stimulate the degradation of fats under the skin and also has antioxidant properties. This enhances the blood flow of the applied area and lightens the stretch marks.
9. Almond oil with Coconut oil
- Both these oils are totally natural with no harmful side effects and coconut oil actually dulls the scar and have great moisturizing properties; also enhances the overall health of the skin. Almond and Coconut oil together form an antifungal, anti-inflammatory, an antiviral and antimicrobial base which the skin absorbs and heals the marks effectively.
- Process: The process is to just mix the two oils in equal quantity (so count the drops of each) and massage onto the skin. (can be kept overnight)
10. Sugar Scrub
- This is one thing which allows you to be high on sugar without any compromises made to health. Sugar works as an exfoliant and sheds off the dead cells which enhance the healing capacity of stretch marks.
- Process: Take 1 tablespoon of raw sugar & mix with a few drops of almond oil and lemon juice to make a scrub like substance. Massage for 8-10 minutes and wash off with warm water followed by a moisturiser.
11. Cucumber and Lemon juice
- Lemon juice contains an acidic element which is commonly known but the non-affected area might get dry or rough if applied directly – so it is recommended to mix Cucumber juice with it as it has a cool soothing effect that keeps the skin fresh and clean.
- Process: To use this solution – mix both juices in equal quantity and apply to the affected area until it gets soaked up by the skin. Now leave it for 10 minutes then rinse with warm water.
12. Apricot Oil
- We know of many scrubs and face wash products that use apricot for exfoliation and this exfoliating tendency works very effectively when it comes to healing stretch marks as well. Apricot oil (pure apricot oil) has skin rejuvenating properties.
- Process: Mix a few drops of oil with two teaspoons of lemon juice and massage (8-10 minutes) onto the skin for effective results.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar
- The apple cider vinegar is rich in acetic and malic acid, which aid in lightening the scars.
- Process: This is the easiest of all – pour a cup of apple cider in a spray bottle, spray it over the stretch marks and let it air-dry. You can keep it overnight and then wash in the morning. But don’t forget to moisturize the skin.
- Lemon Juice is naturally acidic and is capable of fighting bacteria, other than that it is excellent in bleaching and exfoliating the skin. This is why it works to fade away the scars or marks.
- Process: Apply 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a circular motion on stretch marks for 10 minutes. Let it dry (absorb) then rinse with warm water.
15. Glycolic Acid
- Glycolic acid is easily accessible and considered safe to apply. It increases collagen in the skin, making it more elastic and healthy. It is recommended to use this solution only at night as in daytime it can cause sunburns very easily. So if you cannot avoid stepping out in sunlight – protect yourself with the right gear.
- Process: Apply the liquid on the stretch marks and leave it overnight. Repeat this every night.
- Turmeric is full of antioxidants and is the best way to get rid of stretch marks. It has skin lightening and anti-inflammatory properties. Regular use of turmeric on the marks or other scars will reduce the striking difference between your skin and the scars. The result of this application is noticeable only in a few weeks.
- Process: Mix 1 tablespoon turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon fresh cream or yogurt to form a paste. Apply on the stretch marks and let it dry for 10-15 minutes then rinse with warm water. You can do this twice a day to fasten the healing process.
17. Jojoba Oil
- This oil has skin healing properties. If your stretch marks are not fully visible or developed yet, start using this beforehand; as this will prevent the marks from growing further and will stimulate the growth of new healthy cells.
- Process: Apply a few drops of jojoba oil on the affected skin and massage for a few minutes. Leave it on, do not rinse or wipe. Do this twice or thrice a day.
18. Rosehip Oil
- Rosehip oil provides the skin Vitamin E and A which enhances the production of collagen. The fatty acids present in it increase the skin’s healing capacity and reduce stretch marks and other scars.
- Process: Apply a few drops on to the stretch marks and massage in a circular motion for about 5-6 minutes, leave it on. Repeat twice a day.
19. Argan oil
- Argan oil again is a widely used ingredient in cosmetic products. It is rich in Vitamin E and has antioxidant properties. This helps restore the collagen and elastic fibres of the skin and rejuvenates it.
- Process: Apply organic Argan oil directly on the stretch marks and massage for a minute. Do not wipe or rinse, let it get naturally absorbed into the skin. Follow this twice a day.
20. Baby Oil
- Everyone admires a baby’s skin – soft and fluffy, but what if there’s more to it. There are more uses of baby oil – they work on adult skin as well; it makes your skin soft and supple and because it contains vital nutrients it nourishes the skin and prevents the appearance of stretch marks in future.
- Process: After bathing (hot water/shower) pat the skin dry and apply baby oil over stretch marks. Massage until the skin absorbs it or leave it till it naturally dries off.
21. Tea Tree Oil
- The anti-inflammatory properties of the tea tree oil help fade the stretch marks or any other scars. It works fine on rashes as well. It has many benefits but cannot be used alone for massaging purpose, it does not just have a strong smell but also strong quality for healing and soothing. But always mix with other carrier oils if applying on stretch marks.
- Process: Mix tea tree oil (4-5 drops) with olive oil (1-1/2 tablespoon) or the same amount of coconut oil. Massage on the stretch marks till absorbed and leave it on. It will start to show results in less than 30 days. Repeat twice a day.
22. Baking Soda
- Baking soda actually rubs off dead skin layers and it is an effective antibacterial. It exfoliates the skin and lightens the stretch marks.
- Process: You will require 1 tablespoon baking soda with the juice of 1 lemon and cling wrap. Now mix the lemon juice and baking soda to form a paste, apply to the stretch marks and wrap with the cling & leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Finally, remove the wrap and wash with lukewarm water. This can be followed every day.