Table of Contents
Can Oregano cure UTI?
Oregano extract is one of the most recommended herbs to fight against urinary tract infection. It is so powerful in countering the effect of infection-causing bacteria that even medical professionals recommend the same as a must have in an individual’s medicine box.
In 2012, a study was conducted in which the antibacterial activity of oregano oil was evaluated. It was found that oregano oil has the capacity to fight against all kinds of bacteria and is successful in inhibiting the growth of bacteria like E. coli, which are primarily responsible for urinary tract infection. Not only does this oil fasten the healing process but it also helps to kill bacteria and get rid of them. It can also be used as an effective way of preventing our immune system from becoming antibiotic resistant.
It is recommended to dilute oregano oil with water or coconut oil before taking internally. Also, do not use it for more than two weeks, and seek medical guidance if you fail to get any relief.
Is Oregano Oil good for UTI?
It is always a good idea to use herbal remedies instead of going for strong antibiotics. The two key ingredients carvacrol and thymol make oregano oil the most powerful herb in fighting infections like UTI. Both these ingredients are phenols which have numerous health benefits.
Both carvacrol and thymol are a powerhouse of energy when it comes to fighting against infections. They have the ability to kill bacteria, fungi, and virus causing ulcers, pneumonia, gastric cancer, and UTI. These compounds also help in developing immunity by fighting against parasites present in the intestines. When compared to other essential oils available, oregano oil always comes first because of its strong antibacterial, antioxidant and antiviral properties.
How does Oregano Oil Cure UTI ?
Oregano oil works in multiple ways to fight against infections. Here is how it protects our immune system from infection-causing viruses and bacteria.
- Oregano kills bacteria by destroying the wall of bacterial cells. It makes the bacteria vulnerable which makes it difficult for them to attack our body.
- It also prevents bacteria from proliferating their little finger-like projections that latch onto the wall of the bladder further leading to UTI.
- It diffuses the mobility of bacteria, preventing them from getting into the bladder.
- Oregano also helps in breaking the biofilms produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa – the bacteria that make it difficult to treat UTI.
Easy steps to get rid of painful UTI
- The first thing to turn to after getting UTI is oregano oil. You can blend oregano oil with other oils and can have it three times a day for best results. You can also consume oregano oil in the form of gel capsules in your daily diet.
- The second thing to do is to drink plenty of water by adding two to three drops of oregano oil every time. Water will help to overcome the burning sensation that you might experience after consuming oregano oil.
- One can also rub oregano oil at the bottom of the feet for a soothing effect and instant relief.
- If you are experiencing constant pain, then add oregano oil to hot water and apply the hot compress over the abdomen.
Oregano oil can always be supplemented with various other home remedies for instant and quick relief.
1. Drink plenty of water
Drinking plenty of water will help you to flush out unwanted bacteria from your body. One of the main factors causing UTI is insufficient consumption of fluids. Having one to two glasses of water after every meal and snack may help you to stay hydrated as well as away from UTI causing bacteria.
2. Maintain personal hygiene
It is really important to maintain personal hygiene to stay away from such infection. Women must take note of the fact, that every time they clean themselves they must wipe from front to back and not the other way around. Also, try to wear loose-fitting underwear especially when suffering from UTI. It allows air to pass through that further helps to keep the area dry. Don’t wear any cloth that can trap moisture leading to the growth of bacteria.
3. Avoid using tampons or external contraceptives
When infected with UTI, try not to use tampons or any other external contraceptives like condoms. Use of such foreign objects can elevate the problem.
4. Avoid sexual intercourse
When infected with UTI, avoid sexual intimacy as it can worsen the situation. The level of infection may increase and it can become difficult to get rid of such infections without using antibiotics.
5. Consume cranberry juice
Cranberries have proven to be an effective remedy to cure UTI. According to recent studies, regular consumption of cranberry juice can decrease the chances of UTI, and can also help to decrease the level of infection, if already affected.
6. Consume garlic
The antifungal property of garlic makes it one of the best home remedy to get rid of the UTI. It is recommended to have it empty stomach for best results. You can also garnish your dishes with minced raw garlic- not only will it add flavor to the food but will also make it easier for you to have it in raw form.
These methods will work best only if complemented with the right kind of herbal intake, and oregano oil is undeniably the best herbal extract that can help you eliminate the bacteria that cause urinary tract infection.
Symptoms of UTI
To treat UTI on time, it is important to understand its symptoms:
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Not able to hold urine for a long time
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Pain while urinating
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Muscle ache
- Vomiting sensation
- Few may experience a fever as well.
Factors leading to UTI
As the saying goes, “prevention is better than cure”, to avoid the factors that can lead to UTI is a step towards staying far from such painful infections.
Here are some of the factors that can increase the chances of UTI:
- Frequent sexual intercourse
- Sexual intercourse with multiple partners
- Not maintaining personal hygiene
- Blocked flow of urine
- Using urinary catheter
- Stones in the kidney
- Inability to empty the bladder in one go
- Using contraception
- Using tampons
- Excessive use of antibiotics
- Using unhygienic or public washrooms
Being proactive and avoiding encounters with such factors may help you to prevent UTI.
In the case of UTI, instead of using antibiotics, it is recommended to use home remedies to avoid instances of recurring infections. There are numerous herbal remedies but using oregano oil is considered to be one of the most effective ways to get rid of this infection.