Table of Contents
Carrot is a root vegetable with flavonoids, carotenoids, vitamins, minerals and all those essential contents which possess numerous nutritional and health benefits. It contains additional antioxidants, anticarcinogens and immune enhancers which benefits in reduction of stress, hypertension, cholesterol, cardiovascular diseases and many more. All these are mentioned in detail in this article about carrots.
Origin of Carrots
The Scientific name of Carrot is Daucus carota L. It comes in Apiaceae family. It is distributed worldwide, used for many medicinal purposes and gradually used as food. They are available in many colors like white, yellow, orange, red, blood red and purple. Europe was the mainland which distributed this orange carrots widely and now it became a key ingredient in many dishes. Researchers then discovered that this vegetable contains high content of provitamin A, α-carotene and β-carotene.
Composition of Carrots
Usually most of the carrots contains a unique combination of three flavonoids: luteolin, kaempferol and quercetin. They are rich in phenols, chlorogenic and hydroxybenzoic acids including cinnamic acid. Chlorogenic acid content represents 40% to 60% of total phenolic compounds are detected in different carrot tissues. It also has good amount of dietary fiber and some trace of minerals which is rarely found in many vegetables. Carbohydrates and fat content is major in this vegetable and also it contains a great amount of iron. It is also a good source of Magnesium, Potassium and Vitamin B. Besides these, it also contains plenty amount of Vitamin C and K, folates (B9), pyridoxine (B6), riboflavin (B2) and thiamin (B1). Hence among top 40 fruits and vegetables, Carrot is ranked 10th in its nutritional value.
A Cup of Carrots contain 12% Potassium, 20% Vitamin K, 12% Vitamin C, 4 grams of fiber, 12 grams of carbohydrates, 50 calories and a boost of lot of Vitamin A and β-carotene.
Benefits of Carrots
1. Prevention of Cancer
- As we know that carrot is a very good source of antioxidants, carotenoids, polyphenols, etc.
- Carotenoids are mostly present in carrots in major content and has potential to neutralize the effect of free radicals (mainly β-carotene).
- Including other antioxidants, it has been proved that it decreases the risk of some cancers.
- The inhibition of mutagenesis activity indicates this type of nature of carrots. Hence, it is highly beneficial for cancer prevention.
2. Stress Prevention
- Roots vegetables like carrots and even potatoes, sweet potatoes have a good source of protein and carbohydrates.
- These helps in production of serotonin because they have more sugar content.
- So, we can feel the sweetness in carrots because it contains essential vitamins and minerals.
- This vitalizes our body and helps us to prevent stress in long term.
3. Helps in Digestion
- A regular 100 gram serving of carrots in a bowl contains 300 mg of Potassium and 50 mg of Calcium.
- Also as mentioned earlier, it contains Vitamin A and fibers.
- These fibers buffers in such a way with our stomach which slows our digestive system and processes.
- Vitamin A maintains the digestive track of our intestines and reduces the problems of improper digestion.
4. Stroke Prevention
- Presence of β-carotene in carrots is highly beneficial for heart patients. Consumption of at least a carrot per day results in stroke prevention.
- This has proven reduction of stroke up to 60% for a normal person having cardiovascular problems.
- Even presence of riboflavin (B2) neutralizes the levels of Blood pressure which causes reduction of strokes.
5. Improves Eyesight
- As we know that deficiency of Vitamin A leads to night blindness and even temporary blindness.
- But, Carrots have a great amount of Vitamin A which helps in Improving Eyesight.
- Also β-carotene helps in reduction of night blindness.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin increases the fluid membrane of our eyes and that helps in prevention of dust in our eyesight.
- Glycemic Index (GI) is used to measure sugar levels in our body. And carrots possess GI of 40.
- And it also contains some content of calcium and magnesium.
- So, for people having sugar problems and blood pressure problem, this resolves the controlling of blood circulation levels in a body.
- Those help in controlling of sugar levels which leads to proving that consumption of carrots in anti-diabetic.
7. Lowers Cholesterol
- Raw Carrots possess pectin, a fiber which helps in reduction of cholesterol.
- It also contains Vitamin C which has citrus content that lowers the levels of cholesterol in body.
- For proper health you at least need some cholesterol in our body to maintain decent health.
- Hence, the content of fiber in carrots is called ‘dietary fiber’ because it maintains the level of cholesterol in our body.
- This is also a major fact which reduces heart disease prevention.
8. Heals Wounds
- Consumption of carrots helps in relieving of tonsillitis, reduces sores and cleans wounds.
- When wounds are painful, raw carrots help in relieving of pain from that particular area.
- Carrot juice is highly beneficial for healing of wounds and vitalization of blood.
- It is also good for liver, treating edema and prevents cavities and soothes bleeding gums.
- You may eat carrots raw, cooked or make juices. But, it always helps in fighting bacteriaes.
- It prevents cellular degeneration bacteria and also resolves digestive issues.
- Immunity of the overall body increases and beta carotene helps in prevention of food poisoning.
- Oil extracts of Carrots have aromatic organic hydrocarbons which are highly anti-bacterial.
- Carrots are also high in antioxidants which helps in prevention of fungi and fungal diseases.
- Carrot seed oil contains carotol which reduced the growth of fungi up to 62%.
- Extracts of carrot seeds also possess high anti-fungal activity which was recently proved by researchers in Poland.
- Some fungus are highly aggressive and also does a lot damage to our skin and other parts of body.
- Well, consumption of carrots solves these problems and prevents fungal diseases to re-enter our body.
11. Improves Fertility
- Just like Green Tea, Carrot’s effect of Fertility benefits is gender dependent.
- In females it showed the property of anti-fertility benefits which causes reduction of issues like premature evacuation, miscarriage, etc.
- Carrot seed extracts have high capability of increasing sperm reserves in a male body.
- The biochemical composition of Carrots interacts and induces high levels of testosterone in a male body.
- It also affects sperm quality and sperm quantity when it is highly consumed.
12. Skin Protective
- The abundant amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin A increases the vitality of our body and antioxidants reduces cellular degeneration.
- Drinking Carrot Juice helps in reduction of scars and maintains the elasticity of skin on a long term.
- Beta Carotene helps in repairing skin tissues and possesses anti-aging properties.
- It also enhances the immunity over sunburns and over heats. It works as a natural sun blocking agent.
13. Hair Fall Reduction
- Carotene is a rich source of protein and its extracts deeply help in nourishment of hair and reduces hair fall.
- Also consumption of carrot juice increases stimulation of hair growth.
- Overall vitamins and antioxidants increase the blood circulation in scalp.
- This leads to prevention of premature greyness of hair and also has ability to maintain the thickness of hair.
So, instead of eating Junk and unhealthy food, grab a bowl full of carrots or make some carrot juice so it vitalizes your body and boosts your immune up to a certain level. Try those things out and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.