Table of Contents
15 Nutritional and Health Benefits of Figs
Figs are a fruit belonging to the mulberry family, the fruits are commonly found in Asia and have a number of health benefits. These are used for the treatment of a number of disorders, sexual problems, constipation, digestion related issues, piles, diabetes, respiratory disorders, cough, asthma etc.
Some of the health benefits of Figs include:
1. Nutritional Content of Figs:
Figs have a lot of vitamins and minerals present in them and are known as the powerhouse of essential nutrients. Find below the list of nutrients present in figs:
- Energy: Figs are a storehouse of energy, contains carbohydrates, proteins, cholesterol, and fiber
- Vitamins: Figs contain a number of vitamins like folates, Niacin, Vitamin A, C, E, K, Pyridoxine, Riboflavin, Thiamine etc.
- Minerals: Figs also are a rich source of macro and micro nutrients including Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Selenium and Zinc etc.
Figs are wonderful for digestion, they help in curing constipation and improving digestion. The fiber in the figs helps in proper bowel movement. They are also regarded as excellent for treating diarrhea.
Figs are also a source of weight management. Figs are a kind of fruit that can help to increase or decrease the weight based on the requirement and the way they are consumed. They contain a lot of fiber thus can help in weight reduction. However, if someone wants to increase their weight, they should eat Figs along with milk.
3. Heart Health:
Figs have a number of positive effects on the heart functioning as described below:
- Figs help in reducing the triglyceride levels in the blood. The high level can lead to clotting of the arteries and thus are the major cause of heart attacks.
- They also contain antioxidants and help in fighting free radicals which causes blockage in the arteries and lead to coronary heart problems.
- Figs also contain Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids help in improving heart’s health.
- Lowers cholesterol level – Figs contain pectin, a fiber that helps in lowering cholesterol levels, Apart from this Figs also contain vitamin B6 which helps serotonin production which in turn lowers cholesterol in the body. Apart from these Omega fatty acids present in Figs help to lower cholesterol levels.
4. Cancer Prevention and Treatment:
Figs help in prevention and treatment of various types of cancers.
- Colon Cancer: Figs have been proved to be excellent for the treatment of colon cancer. Fiber present in them helps in proper bowel movement, thus, they help in the removal of free radicals from the body.
- Breast Cancer: Fiber content in the figs helps in the prevention of fibers especially after menopause. There is a hormonal imbalance after menopause which also affects the immune system and the ability of the body to fight free radicals. Thus, Figs helps by providing fibers and flushing out free radicals from the body.
5. Diabetes Control:
Figs help in controlling diabetes. They help in reducing the need of insulin in the body. Figs are a rich source of potassium which prevents the fluctuations of sugar in the body especially after having food. This helps to control sugar levels in diabetic patients. Figs leaves can be consumed in a variety of ways like tea or can be put in water and consumed.
6. Anemia Cure:
Anemia or low hemoglobin can lead to numerous health concerns like dizziness, low energy levels etc. Dried figs are a rich source of iron, consuming figs on regular basis can help to improve the hemoglobin levels in the body to a considerable extent. It is especially important for the growing children, people recovering from illness, pregnant or menstruating ladies to ensure their hemoglobin levels. They should include figs in their daily diet to prevent iron deficiency in the body.
7. Bone strength and development:
Figs contain important minerals like Calcium, potassium, and magnesium. The mineral content in the figs helps to improve the bone density and counteracts the bone loss due to aging.
High-potassium present in the figs helps to decrease the loss of calcium that happens because of the high salt diet. Further, Figs also contain phosphorus which also helps to replenish the damage caused to the bones. A normal human requires 1000 mg of calcium for healthy growth of bones, thus it is important to increase food that is rich in calcium and other vital nutrients.
8. Sexual disorders:
Figs have been found to be beneficial for many sexual disorders like sterility, erectile dysfunction, sexual appetite etc. Figs contain minerals like magnesium, zinc, calcium, potassium which helps in curing sexual disorders.
Magnesium is considered to be useful for the balancing of sex hormones such as androgen, estrogen etc. Figs are also a source of amino acids which produce nitric oxide. Nitric oxide helps in the dilation of blood vessels which helps in increasing the flow of blood to all organs including sexual organs. Figs have also been under study for their effects towards sexually transmitted diseases.
9. Respiratory disorders:
Figs help in curing various respiratory disorders like asthma. Figs have multiple actions towards asthma, they help to moisturize the throat and remove the phlegm, thus curing asthma. Also, figs help to remove free radicals which can trigger asthma.
Figs also help in the treatment of whooping cough, soothing the throat, and also relieves the throat pain. Figs also help in curing tonsillitis by reducing the irritation and swelling in the throat.
10. Vision improvement:
Macular degeneration is one of the leading causes of vision loss in elderly people. Figs are a good source of vitamin A and promote eye health. These contain antioxidants which help in preventing the body from free radicals, thus preventing retinal damage.
Figs help in reducing damage to the eyes because of age and other factors.
11. Liver Health:
Liver is an important organ which helps in proper digestion through the release of various enzymes. Figs help in liver functioning by balancing the liver enzymes. Especially in the case of alcoholics, there are elevated levels of liver enzymes in the body.
Fig leaves have been proven to have a hepato-protective activity which helps prevent hepatic disorders.
12. Laxative and Piles treatment:
Figs are a natural ingredient as a laxative and have been included in many laxative syrups. Due to their high fiber content, they help to make stool soft and assists in bowel movement.
They also help in curing piles by making the stools soft and reducing the pressure on the rectum. Figs can be soaked in water for overnight and can be had in the morning for their positive effects. One can also drink the water left after soaking for the effects.
13. Insomnia treatment:
Many People suffer from sleep disorders which can lead to attention deficit and can also affect their work life. It is important to have a balanced diet to have proper sleep. The amino acids tryptophan present in figs helps in the release of melatonin in the body which induces sleep.
Tryptophan also helps produce vitamin B3 which also helps in better sleep. Further magnesium present in figs also helps in relieving stress and helping in sound sleep.
14. Skin Benefits:
There are number of positive effects on the skin like-
- Preventing wrinkles: the studies have proved a number of scientific evidence about figs like anti-oxidative, decreasing skin melanin, decreasing water content of the skin etc. These can help in keeping the skin hydrated and thus reduce or delay wrinkles.
- Skin rejuvenation: Figs also help in rejuvenating and improving the texture of the skin. One can also add honey and yogurt to increase the effectiveness of the figs for skin health.
- Boils and Warts: Figs are also helpful in curing various skin related inflammation like warts, abscess, and boils.
15. Hair benefits:
- Hair conditioning: Figs help in moisturizing the hair and nourishing the scalp. The hair care products containing fig extracts have a great demand in hair care industry.
- Hair Growth: Figs contain magnesium, vitamin C and vitamin E. These are required as a scalp nourishment and also help in hair regrowth. The application of figs to the hair also help in blood circulation to the scalp and encourage hair growth.