Table of Contents
Nosebleed is a phenomenon that occurs when blood oozes out of the nostrils. Depending upon whether the blood flows out from the nose front or from deep inside the nose, nosebleeds could either be posterior and anterior. Undoubtedly, the nose bleeding causes intense discomfort and also looks scary. However, in most cases, the underlying phenomenon do not pose serious life threat and are not dangerous. Nosebleed is often referred to as epistaxis.
Several studies suggest that the probability of nosebleed is predominantly greater in kids as compared to nose bleeding in adults. The above is justified by the fact that greater irritation in the nasal membrane owing to any digital trauma or maybe any external trauma. To rule out the intensity of the bleed in both adults and kids, it is essential to state that nosebleed in kids do not post serious threat as compared to nosebleed among adults. Once you visit a doctor, make sure that you state all the symptoms and underlying causes.
Yes, these nosebleeds are scary and of course messy. They compel you to stop all you are doing and take the necessary steps. True that a bloody nose is common and can have its effect on any or everyone. This occurs mainly during the day or the winter months owing to the fact that dry climate is the primary cause for nose bleeding. To add to your comfort, nosebleeds are common and in most cases do not pose any significant threat. Also, it can be easily cured with simple tools available in your house.
Some of the most common causes of nosebleed include dry air, indoor air that is mostly heated during the winter months, injury to the nasal membrane, or the nasal spray that constitutes of steroids. Also, few people that take medication for blood thinning are exposed to higher risk of nose bleeding.
Irrespective of the reason behind the occurrence of a nosebleed, we have laid down a few of the measures that help stop a nosebleed.
How to Stop Nosebleeds?
Lean Forward and Do Not Bend Back
Yes, you are overprotective about your shirt and do not want to ruin the same. So you take precautions and bend back so that your bloody nose does not spoil it. Agree? But, you are not aware of the fact that leaning backwards would worsen your bleeding nose. Several experts state that when you have a bleeding nose, you should bend backwards but this is merely a myth. Even though you do not stand by this factual myth, people avoid leaning forward to prevent staining their white shirt. Also, most of them are not aware of the dangers a running nose can pose. However, what you should do is opposite as what you are expected to do.
If you have a bleed nose, then you must lean forward and not backward. The blood is not going to stop or freeze, it needs to flow, and it will flow. If you lean backwards, then the blood would trace a reverse path and go back down to your throat. Also, there is a possibility that the blood interferes with the air passage in the food pipe landing up to your stomach. Also, a possibility that the blood entering the stomach might cause discomfort and irritation in the lining of the stomach and therefore compel the patient to vomit. And you would also agree that this would pose a significant problem than just applying a few drops of blood on your T-shirt. Always remember that in the case of nosebleeds, you need to lend forward and not backward.
Pinch Your Nose In The Right Manner
One of the most common ways used by several experts to stop a nose from bleeding is to pinch the nose, but there is a technique for the same. The effective way to pinch a nose of the person who is bleeding is to pinch it right beneath the bony bridge. However, make sure that you don’t pinch too hard that you close the nostrils. Place your fingers on the bone along with the soft tissue. Your fingers should be such that the bleeding pauses but if it still persists then you should adjust the way you held the nose. You need to make sure that while you hold the nose, there should not be any bleeding. If you are perfectly performing the act, then there should be no bleeding, and also the patient would be able to breathe effectively.
Show a little patience while you are doing this. The blood vessels that are responsible for the supply of blood to the nasal membrane could be pinched along with the hard bony bridge. This in a way results into blood clots to be formed inside the nasal membrane and thereby stop bleeding. You should keep a from grip over the nose for at least 5 minutes.
You can try any of the following steps as well
- Hold the nose for least five minutes. Do not loosen the grip to check whether the bleeding has reduced or lessen. This might worsen the situation. If you are comfortable, then try applying the pressure for more than five minutes.
- Once you are done for five minutes, you can try to release the pressure to check if the bleeding has either reduced or stopped. In case you find that the bleeding still persists, then you should pinch the nose again for 10 minutes. Here again, you should not loosen the grip before ten minutes, only after the time elapses, you should check whether the bleeding stopped.
- You can try placing an ice pack or a cold pack over the nose bridge so that it can effectively constrict the blood vessel and aid in stopping the nosebleed. Ice solely cannot soothe bleeding; you need to add extra pressure along with the application of ice.
- Once the nosebleed stops, make sure that the victim does not blow his nose. Even if by mistake the person blows his nose, this would lead to release in blood clots which in a way open door for the nosebleed.
Tips To Prevent Nose Bleed
Once you have had a nose bleed, there is a possibility that you would have this again. It is advisable that you take preventive measures so that the same does not occur again. These include:
- The primary cause of a nosebleed is dryness of the nose. To prevent this from occurring, you should make sure that the inner lining of the nose remains moist. Predominantly, during the winter months as the air is primarily dry. You can use a Vaseline or an antibiotic ointment and apply the same in your nose either using your hands or a cotton ball. Another excellent thing you can use is the saline nasal spray that helps keep your nostrils moist.
- In case of a nosebleed in a kid, you should take immense care of the nails of your child. Try trimming them to prevent scratching or irritation inside the nose.
- Also, to avoid dryness, you can use a humidifier to counteract the impact of dry hair as it largely adds moisture to the surrounding.
When to seek a medical advice?
A lot has been said about what a nosebleed is, what are the causes behind the occurrence of the same and most importantly the preventive measures along with the step to be taken to stop the nosebleed. However, in a few cases, the bleeding does not stop even after all the required measures are undertaken. This then necessitates the need to seek medical advice. If the nosebleed does not stop after persistent efforts for the same, it becomes imperative to consult a doctor on the same and get proper treatment. Few instances witness a rise in the levels of blood pressure, and this worsens the situation more. Before you head towards the doctor make sure that the patient is calm and does not exert much pressure.
However, there are few instances when home remedy does not work for nosebleeds, and it is imperative for you to seek medical aid. Some condition that compels the need to visit a doctor includes:
- Bleeding persists for 30 minutes or more.
- Intense and heavy bleeding that when bend forwards oozes out of the nose and if leaned backwards then the same reach to the stomach back the throat.
- If your nose bleed is accompanied with several other symptoms that include lightheadedness, a rapid rate of the heart, high blood pressure and uneasiness along with chest pain.
- Bleeding that frequently occurs, mostly three to four-time every week or maybe eight times every month.
So, you see if not treated, a nosebleed can be highly dangerous. Also, if the small occurs frequently necessitate the need to consult a doctor as soon as possible. It is advised that you keep track of the nosebleed and see the symptoms. Try using home remedies for instant care but if bleeding does not stops or reduces to a considerable extent, seek medical aid to prevent any significant problem.