Table of Contents
Causes of Asthma:
Asthma could be caused due to various reasons. These factors could be induced by Exercise, by the occupation of the person or may be allergy induced.
Treatment of Asthma:
Apart from medicinal treatments, the cure for asthma is found in your kitchens itself. These remedies are not only cost effective but also provide a considerable amount of relief in the sufferance of the symptoms. Following are the Home Remedies for asthma available for the purpose which is broadly classified into two categories as under:
- Consumable remedies: These include food items which can be used to consume in order to combat asthma
- External Applicative remedies: These include various oils and other products which are not to be directly consumed. Instead, they must be applied externally for benefits.
Consumable Remedies for Asthma :
- Figs: Figs when soaked in water overnight and consumed the next day in the morning along with the water in which it is soaked, provides a great relief in the symptoms of asthma
- Ginger: This is no less than a wonder ingredient found in almost all kitchens. Grind fine ginger with honey and pomegranate and take this paste thrice a day. It is effective in treating cough and cold as well.
- Coffee: Caffeine helps by clearing nasal passage. Have it hot instead of cold. However limit your caffeine consumption to two cups a day.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: They are healthy fats which help prevent inflammation in the body. They are extremely essential in our diet and treat various diseases like depression, heart illnesses, etc. You will find high concentration of Omega-3 fatty acids in fishes like salmon, tuna, flaxseeds, walnuts, soyabeans etc.
- Kalonji/ Black-Seed Oil: Adding Kalonji oil to warm water and some honey will have a great healing effect for asthma patients. Have this once before breakfast and once after dinner for best results for around a month. It has anti inflammatory properties that help in remedying the problems of asthma
- Honey with Cinnamon Powder: Honey is the gift of nature to mankind. Mixing honey with lukewarm water early in the morning flushes a lot of bacteria and germs out of the body. Add half a teaspoon of honey and consume it with equal amount of cinnamon powder. This too is an effective remedy for asthma.
- Turmeric: Turmeric contains curcumin which is its main component. It is a phytochemical that relieves asthma. Just add a pinch of turmeric to half a glass of water. Consume this for 15 days. You could increase the dosage depending upon the results on your body.
- Vitamin C and D: Vitamin D is anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial and thus alleviates asthma symptoms. You must take supplements of Vitamin D and C in order to cure this disease but with the recommendation and on prescription issued by your doctor.
- Garlic: Boil 10-12 cloves in milk and drink this concoction. It tastes hell but works wonders to cure asthma ailments. It helps clear congestion in the lungs due to the mucus formed and also treats cough and cold.
- Onions: Consume raw onions for best results. It helps clear air passages and is anti-inflammatory in nature.
- Khella Oil: Add around 30 to 50 drops of khella oil in a cup of water. Roughly 150 ml. Drink this combination thrice a day and also before going to bed for 4-6 weeks. You will notice the changes due to its anti-histamine properties. It is a part of traditional Egyptian culture for asthma treatment. It works against allergic asthma to be precise and also cures bronchitis.
External Applicative Remedies for Asthma:
- Eucalyptus Oil: It is fundamental in treating cough and cold which are the earliest symptoms of asthma. Add Eucalyptus oil to boiling water and inhale the steam emitted. It will help in clearing the air passages and gives a soothing effect to various symptoms of asthma like soar throat.
- Oregano Oil: Put this oil in an oil diffuser and inhale deeply. This oil causes thinning of the mucus and eliminates infection from the body.
- Tea Tree Oil: Use a face cloth and dip it in warm water. Squeeze out the excess. Now add tree tea oil drops to the damp cloth and inhale this face cloth. The decongestant property of this oil is the master stroke of this remedy. You can carry this to your work place also. Inhale until the vapour lasts.
- Lavender Oil: Use this in exactly same manner as the eucalyptus oil. Add it to hot water and inhale the steam emitted. This oil also strengthens the immune system of your body.
- Mustard Oil with Camphor: This is the ideal combination to deal with asthma. Apply this over the chest and back of the patient. For better results warm the oil slightly before application.
- Evening primrose oil: It contains GLA which is an essential fatty acid. It is a traditional treatment for asthma.
- Breathing exercises: These include various asans of yoga such as Pranayam (alternate breathing techniques), Kapal Bhati (Skul shining breathing technique), Downward facing breathing technique, Bridge pose also known as setu Bandhasana and the pursed lip breathing technique wherein you inhale air slowly and exhale it through pursed lips. These are very effective in curing asthma as well as regulating breathing patterns amongst the infected. The various yogasanas are the various forms and shapes you need to twist your body into while breathing in oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide. These exercises also ensure that you intake maximum amount of oxygen with minimum efforts and difficulties. A regular practise makes a person pro at handling asthmatic attacks.
Who could have possibly thought that the daily kitchen items could be so wonderful in treating such a serious respiratory disorder that has disturbed a wide variety of population? Due to the increase in air pollution and the urbanization, asthma has become a common disease that could target any person. Specially sets in at an early age and leads to a tough time to be faced by children. But why would you have to worry now? The remedies lay just a few steps away, in your kitchen. Try the above solutions and have an easy breath.