Table of Contents
What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is primarily the protein contained in whey, which is the watery portion of milk that gets separated from curd while making cheese.
Milk contains 20% of whey protein in it. well, you might have opened a yogurt container and found a semi-transparent liquid floating on the top of the curd, well that is what we call whey.
Following the process of separation during cheese production, whey- a kind of milk protein, goes through a trail of steps before it is concocted into whey protein.
It’s basically a powder that is often added to meal replacements, protein shakes, and bars.
10 Facts You Didn’t Know About-
- It is consumed as a protein supplement
- Whey is absorbed much rapidly than any other form of protein.
- It does not harm your kidney or liver but can worsen existing damage.
- Whey protein powder doesn’t taste good usually, thus flavors such as chocolate, vanilla and strawberry have been introduced.
- Crucial for bodybuilders and gym enthusiasts, people who want to lose weight and who lack protein in the diet.
- It is also known as whey isolate, whey concentrate, hydrolyzed whey and whey hydrolysate
- It also improves your immune system
- You should not confuse it with casein protein and milk protein which are two totally different supplements.
- It forms as a by-product of cheese production process.
- Whey is the best form of protein you can provide your body with.
Types of Whey Protein-
Well, whey protein can be classified on the basis of how they have been processed while in making.
- Isolate: This kind of whey protein contains 90% protein or even higher. Not only that, it even contains less fat and lactose, being even low on a lot of the beneficial nutrients which are found in its concentrate form.
- Concentrate: It contains about 70-80% of protein, also some lactose and fat, being known for having the best flavor.
- Hydrolysate: This type is also known as hydrolyzed whey, which has been specifically pre-digested so that the absorption process is rapid. Well, it generally causes a 28-43% of a greater spike in the insulin levels of our system than isolate one.
As a matter of fact, Whey protein concentrate seems to be the best option, if compared with the other two. Mostly because it is the cheapest one and undoubtedly retains most of its beneficial nutrients that are naturally found in whey. Many consumers have voted for it probably because of its amazing taste due to small amounts of fat and lactose.
If you are a consumer who is trying to emphasize more on the intake of protein while maintaining low fat and carbs and have issues with tolerating its flavor, then you can choose Whey Isolate Protein which might prove to be better for you.
How Whey Protein Effects Muscle Mass and Strength?
Whey protein is most popular among bodybuilders, athletes, fitness models, and gym enthusiasts. It mainly has the following effects on your strength and muscle mass-
- Increased Muscle Growth- This protein supplement provides amino acids and protein which work as the building blocks for increased muscle growth.
- Stimulation of the release of anabolic hormones- It releases anabolic hormones such as insulin which definitely stimulates your muscle growth.
- Vitalizes muscle protein- It has an excess of amino acid Leucine which vitalizes muscle growth at genetic and molecular level.
- Rapid Absorption- As mentioned earlier, it has the formulation of much rapid absorption than any other protein and thus provides fast results.
How Whey Protein Stimulates Weight Loss?
By far, Whey Protein is the most fulfilling macro-nutrient which boosts metabolism by 80 to 100 calories per day make its consumers eat up to 441 fewer calories per day automatically.
One study revealed that eating protein at 25% of calories had cut food cravings by 60%, and eventually reduced the desire for any kind of late-time snacking just by half.
Well, now talking about whey protein; it is a great way to vitalize your protein intake, which would absolutely have major benefits for your weight loss.
Observational studies have even shown that replacing all other sources of any kind of calories with Whey protein, mingled with weight lifting, can cause a loss of about 8 pounds and increasing lean muscle mass.
Thus if you are a person, who has been making desperate attempts to lose weight as well as being in shape, then Whey Protein can prove to be an amazingly effective supplement.
How to Consume Whey Protein?
- Protein shakes
- In milkshakes
- With cereals
- In Salads
- Make a smoothie
When to Consume Whey Protein?
- Make yourself a glass of milkshake.
- Mix in a vegetable or fruit salad.
- Make a bowl of porridge and mix whey protein powder to it.
- Drink a bottle of protein shake
- Make yourself a mixed fruits smoothie with whey protein supplement in it.
- Mix your chosen flavor into your last meal of the day.
- Well, normally the consumers are recommended a dosage of 1-2 scoops (around 25-50 grams) per day, generally after workouts.
- You are suggested to follow the serving instructions provided on the packaging.
- Please keep in mind that if you are already consuming a high amount of protein, then adding whey protein to your diet seems to be completely unnecessary.
Side Effects of Consumption-
- No impact on healthy kidneys.
- It protects against osteoporosis.
- People with kidney and liver issues should avoid.
- Eating too much can cause many digestive issues like nausea, diarrhea, and cramps.
- Some might be allergic to whey protein.
- Consume isolate or hydrolysate if concentrate form doesn’t suit you.
1. How much protein should one consume after exercise?
A higher dosage of protein after any kind of workout results in higher muscle protein synthesis (MPS).
2. Does high protein intake help during dieting?
Observational studies say that it definitely helps in weight loss.
3. Can muscle building supplements cause testicular cancer?
There is no such evidence which can prove it to cause testicular cancer.
4. Is whey protein better than Soy protein for losing weight?
Whey protein stimulates the muscle protein synthesis rates more than the Soy protein. Thus it can be
concluded to be better.
Other Health Benefits of its Consumption
- Contains beneficial nutrients healthy for your body.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Lowers blood sugar
- Reduces symptoms of depression, anxiety, and stress.
- Protects against cancer.
- Increases bone mineral density
- Reduces symptoms of Hepatitis.
- Improves immune system in HIV patients.
- Increases antioxidants in our body cells.
TOP 10 Whey Protein Supplements-
- Gold Standard 100% Whey
- Pro Gym
- NITRO-TECH 100% Whey Gold
- Combat Crunch Bars
- ISO 100
- Signature 100% Whey Protein
- Animal Whey
- Zero Carb Isopur
So, we hope that we could provide you with a structured handbook on whey protein to facilitate your healthy consumption.