Constipation can be a real menace
Constipation can be a pretty frustrating situation for those who suffer from it. Healthy bowel movement is extremely essential for the functioning of the body. Bowels are responsible for removing the waste material from our body. During constipation, all the toxins are retained in the body. This can have several side effects on the body.
Everyone experiences constipation once in a while. But chronic constipation can signal the onset of other diseases. Colo-rectal cancer and irritable bowel syndrome are commonly caused diseases. Chronic constipation occurs when you face difficulty in passing stools frequently for almost 3 months.
How to cure constipation?
There are a host of home remedies that you can check out to get instant relief from constipation. For starters, eat a fiber-rich diet. You can also consume fruits such as prunes which are helpful in curing constipation.
If none of the above are providing you the desired relief, then you may consider baking soda. Baking soda is not the best laxative available. Still, it is quite popular. But make sure that you are well aware of the side-effects that it can cause.
How baking soda for constipation works?
Baking soda has been used as an antacid for several years. Almost all off-the-shelf antacid contains baking soda as the main ingredient. Some people claim that baking soda can be equally helpful as a laxative for constipation. Baking soda helps to retain water in the digestive tract. This, in turn, promotes contractions in the gut. The retention of water and contraction is important for passing stool smoothly. However, there is no scientific research which supports that baking soda is useful and safe as a laxative. Use of baking soda to cure constipation has been passed down as a tested home remedy.
How to consume baking soda for relief from constipation?
You can consume baking soda as provided in the following recipes. Ensure to consult a medical professional before you consume it.
- Baking Soda and water: Add 2 teaspoon full of baking soda to a cup of lukewarm water. Stir it well. You can also add a pinch of salt to this. This should be consumed in the morning on an empty stomach. Consume a lot of water generally so that your gut is hydrated. Hydration of the gut is essential to keep constipation at bay.
- Baking Soda and apple cider vinegar: Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Add a pinch of sea salt to the mixture. Consume this mixture at least 2-3 times during the day. But don’t consume too much as it can lead to diarrhea.
- Baking Soda with lemon: Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with the juice of half a lemon. Add this mixture to one glass of water. Mix well and drink it on an empty stomach. You can consume this every day in the morning. Lemon is helpful in getting rid of harmful toxins from the body.
Baking soda is also useful for a colon cleansing procedure. Colon cleanse is helpful for relieving chronic constipation. For an effective colon cleanse consume baking soda with warm water. This leads to osmosis and can result in bowel movement. Consume the mixture regularly for a few days for best results.
Make sure to weigh in the risks
- Anything consumed in excess can be a disaster. If you consume baking soda in excess, it will result in toxicity in the body. This is called metabolic alkalosis. Common symptoms include fatigue, cramps, nausea, and vomiting. Very severe cases can result in pancreatitis.
- Studies show that since the 1920s (and till date), 18 people’s stomachs ruptured due to consumption of baking soda. In 1939, there was a death on account of baking soda consumed to relieve constipation. As mentioned earlier, there is no scientific research supporting the use of baking soda as a laxative. Therefore, it should not be your first choice of laxative.
- Baking soda has a high sodium content. Excess consumption can be fatal in case you suffer from high blood pressure or have kidney related disorders.
- Another red flag is the drug interaction of other medication. The reaction between baking soda and other medication can prove fatal in some cases. Therefore, always consult a medical practitioner if you want to consume baking soda as a laxative. If you experience any discomfort, seek medical help without fail.
- Baking soda upsets potassium and chloride levels in the body. These minerals are important for the body.
- Don’t eat calcium-rich food if you have baking soda.
- Don’t consume baking soda too frequently. Consult your doctor for other options.
It is also possible that a cause for your constipation is never identified.
Don’t ignore constipation. It can also lead to various complications such as swelling around the anus, accumulation of hardened stool in intestines and tears in the anal wall. Remember that there are no one-size-fits-all solutions to cure constipation. Baking soda may have worked for some. It may not work for you. The right approach is to consult the doctor to find a permanent solution. If you suffer from severe constipation and face the following, seek medical help:
- Laxatives have not worked for you at all.
- Stool has blood.
- Unintentional weight loss
- Bowel movement with severe pain.
- You have not passed bowels in two weeks.
- The consistency and color of your stool have changed dramatically.